This year I wanted to send you something different on Father’s Day. Instead of a gushing card telling you that you are the ‘best dad in the world’ I thought I would offer a list of questions that I’ve wanted to ask you for years.
1. Why do you regularly try to destroy my confidence?
2. Why do you keep belittling me? Even in front of my younger siblings.
3. What is it about me that makes you so angry so often?
4. How can I get you to believe in me?
5. You have an enormous ego. Why don’t you let me express myself in my own way?
6. Are you the father you wanted to be and do you see yourself as a good role model for me?
It saddens me that I’ve never been able to ask you these questions face to face which I’d much rather do, but I know you wouldn’t listen. Instead you’d shout insults at me to put me down.
I hope you can understand and respect my position and that you will carefully and calmly read my questions.